Insurance is for the dogs…

With a third of homeowner claims resulting from dog bites, it is no wonder some carriers limit which household pets they will cover.  The average dog bite claim is $30,000.

There is a lot of controversy on this topic because many dogs within the restricted breed list are truly good dogs.  But, insurers need to rely on statistics to improve their risk.

Here are the top ten dogs that often shwo up on the restricted list:

1.) Staffordshire bull terriers

2.) American Staffordshire terrier

3.) Bull terrier

4.) Doberman pinscher

5.) Rottweiler

6.) Akita

7.) ‘Husky’ (Siberian huskies and malamutes)

8.) German shepherd

9.) Cane Corso

10.) Mastiff


Safeguard Your Interests as a Landlord

Many insureds own property that they lease on a regular basis to tenants. Other insureds occasionally lease their homes for special events, like the Super Bowl, Indianapolis 500, or other major events. In each case, proper risk management techniques are needed to safeguard the landlord’s interest.

The following are some sound risk management tips for insureds who own property that they rent on a continuous basis.

  • Liability coverage pertaining to rented 1, 2, 3, or 4 family dwellings is available under the homeowners policy via an additional residence rented to others 1, 2, 3 or 4 families (HO 24 70) endorsement. Be aware that this endorsement is needed only if the property is rented out on a continuous basis; it provides liability coverage only.
  • A separate dwelling property policy is needed for the property exposures to these rented units.
  • Verify that the renter or lessee has proper tenants insurance for this leased property by obtaining a certificate of insurance.
  • You should also require in your lease that your tenant list you under his or her insurance policy as an additional insured landlord, particularly if the tenant uses this property in any commercial endeavor.

Insureds who own property that is occasionally rented on a short-term basis should consider the following recommendations.

  • Collect a sizeable damage deposit from your tenant and check his or her references.
  • Use a short-term rental contract making the tenant liable for all damages to building and personal property and all injuries.
  • Only rent the property to parties that currently have a homeowners or tenants policy in force or to businesses with a general liability policy in force.
  • Ask your tenant for proof of liability coverage, which can be found under his or her homeowners policy or general liability policy.

Copyright 2013
International Risk Management Institute, Inc.

Protect Your Interests after an Auto Accident

While we certainly hope that you are never involved in an auto accident, we realize that they do happen. That’s the reason we’re in business; that’s the reason you trusted us to find the right auto insurance for you. If you are ever involved in an accident, the following suggestions will help the claim process move ahead smoothly. Please print this out and keep a copy in your glove box.

  • Make sure that everyone is unhurt—in your car and any      others involved. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately. Even if you      think your injuries are minor, it is probably a good idea to have them      checked out—either at the hospital or with your family doctor. A seemingly      minor injury could turn out to be more serious.
  • Call the police. They can help defuse a difficult      situation and ascertain who is at fault. Make sure that police on the      scene get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other involved      parties. Ask for a copy of the police report from the officer.
  • If you happen to have a camera with you—or a smart      phone—take some photos of the vehicles involved, the general area where      the accident occurred, and skid marks.
  • If possible, safely move the cars out of the way of      traffic.
  • Do not admit or discuss liability with anyone other      than staff at our office or your insurer.
  • Get the following information about everyone involved      in the accident: name, address, driver’s license number, license plate      number, description of car, e-mail address, all phone numbers (home, work,      and cell), and auto insurance information. Also, obtain contact      information from any witnesses to the accident.
  • Report the accident immediately to our office.       716-684-6000
  • While the details are still fresh in your mind, write      your own account of the accident. Be sure to make note of anything the      other involved parties said about their injuries or about how they may      have contributed to or avoided the accident.

Copyright 2013
International Risk Management Institute, Inc.

Flood Insurance – What is not covered?

Flood insurance policies cover physical damage to your property and possessions.

What’s Not Covered?

  • Damage caused by moisture, mildew, or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner
  • Currency, precious metals, and valuable papers such as stock certificates
  • Property and belongings outside of an insured building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, seawalls, hot tubs and swimming pools.
  • Living expenses such as temporary housing.
  • Financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of use of insured property.
  • Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts (see section IV.5 in your policy)


Do you Foursquare?

Yes, social networking and social media are great ways to stay connected.  If you are “checking-in” often; be aware that you may be increasing a potential hazard.  If you are telling everyone you are at location X right now and will be there for a bit – someone else might be scoping out your home or apartment.  Be safe – be smart.  Sometimes too much information can give others access to your home or belongings.  Protect your home and personal property with insurance.  Call us for a quote today!

Have an ATV?

Why do you need a separate ATV policy?

….because a simple endorsement on your homeowners policy covers you only when you are on your own premises.

Having a separate policy gives you the freedom to ride any where you want (with permission of course) and will cover you for Liability, Comprehensive (Fire & Theft) and Collision – if you choose full coverage. Also available is coverage for Safety Apparel and Accessories. Discounts available include Home ownership, insuring multiple ATV’s, rider experience, transfer discounts, and claim free renewal. ATV vehicle include Utility, Sport, 4-wheel, 6-wheel, and 8-wheel.